This looks really fun, I may just have to try it out!
Game: <3 U
A card and phone texting game. Texting today is such a tragedy. Swype keyboards, speech-to-text, and phone hardware keyboards have ruined the culture of abbreviating texts in cryptic, near undecipherable tiny messages. <3 brings back the golden days of texting by forcing players to type length constrained messages to each other. U R gona <3 it! Check the bottom of this page for the rules.
True Colors: The game uses only the basic 16 colors: black, gray, silver, white, maroon, red, olive, yellow, green, lime, teal, aqua, navy, blue, purple and fuchsia. See color chart
More the Merrier: The game is a competitive or cooperative multiplayer "party game" (i.e., based on minigames, humor, 4+ players, audience engagement, etc.), meant for one screen or more.
Two Are Better Than One: The game requires two or more different mobile devices to play.
Approved for All Audiences: The game must not show any violence, not even cartoonish. Stepping on living mushrooms is off the list, as is killing any type of enemies, not even undead, though we know they’re already dead…
- Any number of players, in 2-person teams
- 5, 15, or 30 minute gameplay
- One phone per player with an unlimited text messaging plan.
- One computer running the love_u_server configured with a google voice account (setup details below)
- One deck of <3 U cards
- Run the Server
- Each player chooses one teammate and a teamname
- Each player texts the phone number of the server their teamname, precedded by two colons, such as ::teamawesome or ::wearenumber1
- Shuffle the deck of cards
-=- ONE ROUND OF PLAY -=-
- Each team breaks apart. Form two groups, each with one member from each group.
- Give each player 5 <3 cards.
- Within each group, draft the cards - (each player takes one card and keeps it, and passes the cards to the right. They then get four cards from the left, take one, and pass three to the right. Continue until players have kept 5 cards.
- Teammates meet back up.
- Each teammate chooses a card, and sends a text to their teammate. Each player shortens the text into the number of characters allowed by the server. Spaces don't count agains the limit, but everything else does.
- Once the text is sent, the teammate then tries to guess what the text is. If the teammate guesses the text correctly, the team keeps the card - it's worth one point. If not, discard the card.
- Continue till all cards are completed.
- On the last card, the team with the shortest successful message doubles any points they win. If there is a tie, all points are doubled.
NUMBER OF ROUNDS
- Short Game: 1 Round
- Medium Game: 3 Rounds
- Long Game: 6 Rounds
- Download and install Python (http://www.python.org/)
- Download and install PyGoogleVoice (http://code.google.com/p/pygooglevoice/)
- Fix a bug in PyGoogleVoice -> settings.py > LOGIN = "https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=grandcentral"
- Download and install Beautiful Soup (http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/)
- Create a Google Voice Account
- Add your Google Voice email and password into love_u_server.py "voiceUsername" and "voicePassword"
- Run the server. You should see the welcome message, and be able to text the server.
non-digital game (board game, card game, physical game, etc.)
Microsoft Windows Phone
generic mobile platform
Monday, February 4, 2013 - 06:10